Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Baby Wise

I have had a few friends who have told me about the book, Baby Wise and have all loved it. So I bought the book about 3 months before Keifer was born. It took me until he was almost a week old to read it. After I did I was kicking myself for not reading it sooner. It helped me to get him on a schedule and learn his needs. The idea is to feed every 2.5-3 hours followed by wake time, then sleep. Keifer followed this schedule really well. We would feed him and he would be awake for a hour then sleep for two hours before his next feeding. This is suppose to help get the baby on a schedule keeping them a happy baby and sleeping through the night sooner. This couldn't be any truer! When Keifer was one month old he slept 7 hours through the night. I wanted to get his feeding times on the same time everyday but it depended on what time he woke up in the morning. So sometimes we would be on a 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, 10 schedule or a 8, 11, 2, 5, 8, 11 schedule (which I didn't like) or our goal schedule which is 9, 12, 3, 6, 9. Then it finally happened and I couldn't be any prouder of our little guy. When he was 5 weeks and 1 day he slept 8 hours through the night. I told Jason if he didn't snore so loud I would have been worried about him. I thought this was for sure a fluke but I enjoyed the sleep. The next night same thing, then I thought that was just luck. But after a week of 8 hours straight I knew he had it! This whole time he was on a 9-9 schedule and I could plan my day in advance because I knew when his feedings would be. He will be 2 months next week and he has made four 9 hour nights and three 10 hour night keeping his 9-9 schedule.


As for his awake time, he is the happiest baby I've ever seen! Which is surprising because he has been staying awake anywhere from 2-4 hours at a time. He averages only about 3 hours of napping a day. When he is awake he sits in his bouncy chair, sits under his mobile or just smiles and talks to us. He is such a fun baby and I'm so impressed with how content and happy he is. He truly is a blessing and Jason and I couldn't imagine our lives without him!





No comments:

Post a Comment